Blog
  by

In the News: January 12-18

Sg2 is dedicated to helping our clients interpret the latest news and trends in health care. Below you’ll find our analysis of this week’s key industry headlines, along with links to related Sg2 resources.

New Records for US Organ Transplants

Organ transplants conducted in the US reached an all-time high in 2016 with 33,606 reported transplants, according to preliminary data from the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN). This growth is attributed to a 9.2% increase in the number of deceased donors from 2015 to 2016. Deceased donors provide multiple organs for transplant and contributed to approximately 82% of transplants, with the remaining 18% coming from living donors. Donor trends over the last decade indicate the increasing acceptance of organs from deceased donors with less ideal medical histories and conditions (eg, death due to substance intoxication or donors with increased risk for blood-borne disease).

For Sg2’s thoughts on organ transplantation and the significant barriers that organ transplantation programs still face, please read this Sg2 Expert Insight.


Beyond Sg2: Washington Post “A Divided America: How We Die Depends on Where We Live”

A new CDC study revealed that rural Americans have an increased likelihood of dying from the top 5 causes of death compared to individuals living in metropolitan areas. Out of the 1.6 million deaths in 2014, over 70,000 of rural Americans’ deaths were preventable. Insights from the CDC study may help to increase efforts for public health programs, such as smoking cessations and seat belt awareness. To learn more about achieving healthy outcomes for your patient population, check out these Sg2 resources.


Beyond Sg2: Massachusetts Reports Challenges in Efforts to Reduce Health Care Utilization and Costs

The authors of this recent Health Commission Report summarized major cost trends in Massachusetts, which held the highest health care expenditures per capita in 2009. The Health Policy Commission (HPC) identified variation in spending by primary care providers as a major area of opportunity, in addition to avoidable hospital and post-acute care utilization. HPC found that certain primary care providers consistently provided wasteful screenings, procedures and tests that were not recommended and offered little value.

At Sg2, we believe that private and public payers will continue to pressure providers to limit low-value care and other types of overutilization through penalties and tiered networks. Providers must redesign care to not only cut costs but also ensure that each patient receives standardized, high-quality care in the most appropriate setting. To learn more about the ways in which your organization can improve care through clinical restructuring, explore Sg2’s foundational series on care redesign.

  • Share
  • Follow Sg2 on Facebook
  • Follow Sg2 on Twitter
  • Connect with Sg2 on LinkedIn
"Analytics and expertise to help you understand market dynamics and capitalize opportunities for growth."

As of February 11, 2016, Vizient, Inc. has completed its purchase of MedAssets Sg2 and spend and clinical resource management segments from Pamplona Capital Management, LLC. MedAssets revenue cycle business will continue to operate as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pamplona Capital Management LLP.

Follow Sg2 on Facebook Follow Sg2 on Twitter Connect with Sg2 on LinkedIn Watch Sg2 on YouTube