Sg2 Culture, Diversity & Inclusion
Sg2, the Strategic Growth Domain at Vizient, is a reflection of the people who work here—hard-working, dynamic individuals who come together to create uncommon solutions to health care’s greatest challenges. We work hard, but we also recognize the value of setting work aside and having fun. Some of our unique cultural benefits include:
- Experts In Action: this program allows employees to recognize each other for a job well done through e-cards and/or “kudos” points that can be redeemed for products, trips, gift cards and more.
A large part of Sg2 culture includes our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB), as well as how we give back to our community. Learn more about…
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Sg2
Sg2’s mission is to catalyze the transformation of health care delivery so our members can not only thrive, but also provide the best care they possibly can to the patients they serve; ultimately, our goal is to bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds and experiences to help foster this transformation. Along with our parent company, Vizient, we promote an inclusive environment of engagement and collaboration and value all ideas, with the intention that, together, we can innovate and drive meaningful change in the delivery of health care.
With this in mind, we have asked our members to join with us in our efforts to further social justice, and, with the guidance of key partners and Vizient’s new chief culture, diversity and inclusion officer, we have embarked on a journey to look more deeply within our own organization to determine how we ourselves can improve in terms of DEIB. It is a challenge we welcome and to which we are committed: strive to make a positive difference within Sg2 so we can, in turn, continue to make an even greater difference in the health care industry.
Learn more about how diversity and inclusion are strategic commitments of Sg2 and the Vizient family of companies, reflected in the business practices that touch employees, members, suppliers and our community.
Sg2/Vizient DEIB Initiatives
IDEAS (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Action at Sg2/Strategic Growth Domain) is an employee group that works to ensure Sg2 provides a culture and environment, as well as supportive access, for every Sg2 employee to grow and succeed as their authentic selves while proactively addressing barriers to diversity, equity and inclusion across all levels of the Vizient enterprise and the health care industry. Initiatives include:
- Recurring internal communications and conversation forums: provide information, awareness and a supportive space to learn about and discuss DEIB topics and issues, as well as celebrate various cultural observances throughout the year
- DEIB survey: facilitated survey within IDEAS group to determine specific DEIB issues and concerns to focus on at Sg2
- Floating holiday allyship: encouraged Sg2 employees to use their floating holiday for a cultural holiday they are unfamiliar with to learn more about a culture different from their own
BIPOC Alliance provides an informal space for Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) to gather and discuss their respective identities and heritages, allowing them to celebrate and fully express themselves in order to help them bring their value and authentic selves to all of Sg2.
Vizient Diversity Networking Associations (also known as employee resource groups) are designed to bring employees from the Vizient family of companies together. They help raise awareness around issues faced by specific demographics (including race, gender and sexual identity, to name a few) and advocate for a more inclusive workplace as well as socially responsible business practices.
- Ability@Vizient: Promotes awareness around the fullness of every person’s abilities and health – including physical, neurodiverse and mental health – to eliminate stigmas and ableism by highlighting various dimensions of diversity, like those that aren’t necessarily visible.
- APIDA@Vizient (Asian, Pacific-Islander and Desi-American): Empowers and supports employees who identify or relate to the Asian, Pacific Islander and Desi-American heritage by creating a more equitable and inclusive work environment and uplifts the varied experiences and diverse backgrounds of our employees while increasing inclusion and engagement.
- Black@Vizient: Brings awareness to the practices, processes, behaviors and actions where systemic and structural barriers and racism exist and focuses on achieving racial equity for Black employees at Vizient.
- Dimensions@Vizient: Promotes awareness around intersected identities and elevates the voices of all employees with a particular focus on the elements of each person’s identities and lived experiences.
- Pride@Vizient: Brings awareness to and helps Vizient attract, develop and retain LGBTQ+ community members and allies by fostering a culture of inclusion that enables employees to be their authentic selves.
- Veterans@Vizient: Supports volunteerism benefiting veterans and veteran organizations, fosters employee connections and serves as a resource to veteran and military-related matters at Vizient.
- Women@Vizient: Promotes awareness around the importance of creating pathways for career advancement and a more equitable work environment for all employees who identify as women.
Learn more about Vizient Diversity Networking Associations (DNAs).
Sg2 in the Community
Pro Bono Projects
Sg2 continues to honor the legacies of our founder Michael Sachs and our colleague Jay Warden—furthering their missions of changing health care and giving back to local communities—through annual pro bono project work in our local markets, with our members. For these projects, employees committed to making a difference in social determinants of health come together to collaborate on strategic initiatives aimed to improve health outcomes for underserved communities in the Chicagoland area.
- West Side United—Maternal and Child Health Strategic Planning
- Heartland Alliance Health—Virtual Health Care Delivery Disparities Strategic Planning
- Send us your submissions! If you have an idea for a pro bono project or skills-based volunteer project that Sg2 can lend a hand with, we invite you to contact us and let us know.
Join Sg2’s Community Health Improvement group on LinkedIn to connect with peers to discuss how hospitals and health systems can improve the health of their communities by addressing social needs and social determinants of health.
Vizient Cares: Serving Our Community and Our Passions
Community Day is our signature volunteer initiative. On a designated day every year, employees leave join forces with local charitable agencies across the country—virtually and/or in person—for a nationwide day of common purpose and action, enabling us to fulfill needs in communities around the United States in a real and impactful way.
Through the Assisting Communities Together (ACT) Program, all full-time employees have 5 full days off per calendar year to volunteer during normal work hours, helping us increase the number of volunteer hours and make a real, positive difference in our community. And, in 2018, Vizient created Cares Connect—an intranet portal that helps you find local volunteer opportunities and record your individual volunteer efforts, as well as donate to charitable organizations through employee giving.
Vizient’s community impact programs also consist of Corporate Giving, designed to make a difference—through investment—not only in the lives of our clients, but also in the lives of our families, our communities and the world. Corporate Giving includes grants provided to member hospitals affected by FEMA declared disasters; humanitarian awards honoring an individual(s) or organization who exhibits extraordinary behavior in helping others and making a difference in the world; corporate grants made by Vizient through ongoing partnerships; and financial assistance to employees in hardship situations.