Vizient and Sg2 Make Surge Demand Calculator Available to All Hospitals to Plan for COVID-19 Patients
“We are excited to be able to make this tool available to everyone. Health systems across the U.S. have used it and report that they have been able to better project potential ICU and ventilator shortages and the timing of these shortages based on their local market infection rates and social distancing measures,” said Madeleine McDowell, MD, FAAP, principal and medical director for Sg2. “The projections have been validated in a broad range of markets and align very closely to actual hospital and ICU volumes reported. As capacity is added, such as through the opening of cohorted ICU units and the postponement of elective cases, users can update their data so that results reflect those metrics.”
More specifically, the Surge Demand Calculator will enable users to:
- Identify where the market is on the timeline of the COVID-19 infection outbreak based on first known community-acquired COVID-19 hospitalization date. In addition, trends and patterns of increase can be used to validate or adjust timing on the surge curve.
- Understand the impact of varying rates of disease spread, including scenarios that consider various social distancing efforts.
- Localize impact to reflect service area demographics via age-adjusted COVID-19 infected population based on hospitalization rates.
- Calculate and evaluate projected COVID-19 surge bed, ICU and ventilator shortage or surplus at the regional market, health system or organizational level.
- Track shortage or surplus projections over time as disease transmission and market response progress.
“Data based scenario planning is critical for hospitals to look into the future and appropriately plan for the demand that will be needed to care for infected patients in a community,” said Bharat Sundaram, president and chief operating officer for Vizient. “That’s why we’re offering this tool to all health organizations on the public Vizient website. The more informed health care organizations can be, the better their planning can be and the better they can take care of their patients and their clinicians.”
Sg2, a Vizient company, revolutionized the understanding of future health care demand with the introduction of the Impact of Change forecast in 2001. Today, Sg2 is the industry’s premier health care strategy advisory firm, helping organizations solve for the challenge of achieving smart growth by leveraging our unique combination of insights, expertise, and analytics.
Headquartered in Skokie, IL, with offices in Denver and Los Angeles, Sg2 serves health care providers across the spectrum, including integrated delivery networks, academic medical centers, independent community hospitals and life sciences companies. Learn more about Sg2 at www.sg2.com.
About Vizient, Inc.
Vizient, Inc. provides solutions and services that improve the delivery of high-value care by aligning cost, quality and market performance for more than 50% of the nation’s acute care providers, which includes 95% of the nation’s academic medical centers, and more than 20% of ambulatory providers. Vizient provides expertise, analytics and advisory services, as well as a contract portfolio that represents more than $100 billion in annual purchasing volume, to improve patient outcomes and lower costs. Vizient has earned a World’s Most Ethical Company designation from the Ethisphere Institute every year since its inception. Headquartered in Irving, Texas, Vizient has offices throughout the United States. Learn more at www.vizientinc.com.